Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Woman’s head is deformed by a severe allergic reaction to eyebrow dyeing

A mother has revealed how she “looked like Quasimodo” after a horror-allergic reaction to eyebrow dyeing that was so severe that doctors said it could have killed her.

Clare McGuire, 34, of Stretford, Greater Manchester, had her eyebrows waxed and dyed for the first time in a salon on Oct. 13 and claims the esthetician applied her patch test to her hand incorrectly.

She claims she was advised to leave it on for only an hour, meaning her reaction didn’t show up before the treatment.

She later had to rush to the emergency room twice after the reaction left her with a swollen face and swollen tongue, which paramedics warned could be a choking hazard.

Clare said: ‘It’s been three weeks now and I’m still not back to normal – I still have redness and scabs and I’m afraid they won’t grow back properly.

“Doctors said if I had a reaction like that again I’d die, so I’ll never do it again. I’ll stick with threading.”

Clare McGuire, 34, from Stretford, Greater Manchester had her eyebrows waxed and dyed for the first time in a salon on Wednesday and says she still suffers from 'scabby' eyebrows after an allergic reaction

Clare, pictured at the height of the reaction, said she looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Elephant Man

Clare, pictured at the height of the reaction, said she looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Elephant Man

Clare McGuire, 34, of Stretford, Greater Manchester had her eyebrows waxed and dyed for the first time in a salon on Wednesday and says she still suffers from ‘scabby’ eyebrows after an allergic reaction (left and right)

The mother decided to have her eyebrows waxed and dyed and had eyelash extensions put on for the first time for a confidence boost.

Clare said: ‘I had never waxed or dyed before, I always had my eyebrows plucked.

She booked a salon and went for a patch test the day before her appointment, but Clare claims the esthetician applied the test to her hand and only told her to leave it on for an hour.

She said: ‘The day before I went for a patch test and she tested the tint for the eyebrows and the glue for the lashes and told me to leave it on for an hour.

It was the mother of two's first time treating herself to eyebrow tinting.  She claims the beautician didn't do a proper allergy test

It was the mother of two's first time treating herself to eyebrow tinting.  She claims the beautician didn't do a proper allergy test

It was the mother of two’s first time treating herself to eyebrow tinting. She claims the beautician didn’t do a proper allergy test

“I was gone for the rest of the day, so I left it longer and there was no response.”

It wasn’t until after doing her own research after the horror response that Clare realized that patch testing must take at least 24 hours to allow for delayed responses.

She revealed: “But I found out she should have done the patch test behind my ear and it should have been left on for at least 24 hours and she should have known that because of her training.”

Just hours after getting her eyebrows done, Clare’s face turned red and itchy and she called 111, where an operator advised her to go to the hospital.

She explained that her eyebrows became red, itchy and scabby from the allergic reaction, pictured

She explained that her eyebrows became red, itchy and scabby from the allergic reaction, pictured

Pictured: Clare in hospital to treat her reaction, she was prescribed steroid tablets and antihistamines

Pictured: Clare in hospital to treat her reaction, she was prescribed steroid tablets and antihistamines

She explained that her eyebrows became red, itchy and scabby from the allergic reaction, pictured

Clare had to rush to hospital and was treated with IV treatment, pictured, after the reaction

Clare had to rush to hospital and was treated with IV treatment, pictured, after the reaction

Clare had to rush to hospital and was treated with IV treatment, pictured, after the reaction

That evening at Trafford General Hospital in Trafford, Greater Manchester, Clare was given an EpiPen shot and steroid tablets and was allowed to go home.

Clare said: ‘Red spots started to appear around my eyebrows so I messaged the girl who did them and she told her to take some antihistamines so I did.

“But a few hours later I started to swell and my eyes started to close, so I called 111 and they told me to go to the hospital.

“At the hospital they gave me an EpiPen shot and steroid tablets and sent me home, but it got worse at night, so the next morning I went back and they put me on an intravenous IV.”

The next morning, the mother of two was stunned to find that her face had bloated overnight — including her tongue — and returned to the hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe that she was asleep in her sleep. could have choked

The next morning, the mother of two was stunned to find that her face had bloated overnight — including her tongue — and returned to the hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe that she was asleep in her sleep. could have choked

The next morning, the mother of two was stunned to find that her face had bloated overnight — including her tongue — and returned to the hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe that she was asleep in her sleep. could have choked

The next morning, the mother of two was stunned to find that her face had bloated overnight — including her tongue — and returned to the hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe that she was asleep in her sleep. could have choked

The next morning, the mother of two was stunned to find that her face had bloated overnight — including her tongue — and returned to the hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe that she was asleep in her sleep. could have choked

The next morning, the mother of two was stunned to find that her face had bloated overnight — including her tongue — and returned to the hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe that she was asleep in her sleep. could have choked.

She said: ‘Emergency care said because my tongue was swollen, I could have choked. I was told I could have died, it was really scary.

“Over the next few days it only got worse – my eyebrows got really red and swollen, crusted and oozing.

‘I thought I looked like Quasimodo, and my sons said I looked like the Elephant Man.

The mother of two said the esthetician who treated her should have tested the tint on a skin patch behind her ear for 24 hours

The mother of two said the esthetician who treated her should have tested the tint on a skin patch behind her ear for 24 hours

Instead of a regular patch test, Clare was told to remove the patch an hour later

Instead of a regular patch test, Clare was told to remove the patch an hour later

After three weeks, she is still healing, but thankful that her face isn’t so swollen anymore (pictured)

“I wear glasses, but my face was too swollen to put them on for three days.”

The traumatized rescuer has now vowed never to have her eyebrows dyed again and has shared photos of her dramatic reaction to warn others of a proper patch test.

Doctors prescribed steroid tablets, antihistamines and antibiotics to reduce the swelling from Claire’s allergic reaction and fight infections in her “scabby” eyebrows.

Three weeks later, she’s still healing, but she’s thankful her face isn’t so puffy after her sons Matthew Fryers, 15, and Mark Fryers, 13, joked she looked like “the elephant man.”

She is now warning others to make sure they have a proper patch test to avoid a potentially life-threatening reaction like she had.

Clare said: ‘People need to know this can happen and make sure they get a patch test behind their ear and let it sit for 24 hours.’

.