ISLAMABAD – Pakistan has reported 153 COVID-19 fatalities, a new daily record, as infections continue to increase, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 171,665.
Pakistan has registered 6,604 new infections in the past 24 hours. The total death toll is 3,382.
Hospitals fill up and COVID-19 patients are rejected in many cities across the country.
In a country of 220 million people, Pakistan has fewer than 3,000 ICU beds, one of the lowest in the world. Fans are distributed to some of the hardest-hit areas, and the government has shut down more than 800 residential and business areas where clusters of infections have surfaced.
But despite urging medical professionals, who have registered more than 3,000 infections from their ranks, and the World Health Organization, Pakistan has refused to impose strict lockdowns. Prime Minister Imran Khan says easing restrictions is the only way to save the economy.
On Friday, Pakistan signed a $ 1.5 billion loan agreement with three international credit institutions. The country’s poverty rate has risen from 30% to 40% in just three months.
HERE TO KNOW ABOUT THE VIRUS OUTBREAK:
– Brazil tops 1 million cases as the coronavirus spreads inland
– The World Health Organization chief says the pandemic is ‘accelerating’, confirmed the number of cases that are high daily
– Navy maintains captain’s resignation in case of virus outbreak
– A person familiar with the decision says Major League Baseball is closing all its spring training locations due to concerns about the corona virus pandemic. Earlier, the Philadelphia Phillies said five players tested positive for COVID-19 in the team’s spring complex this week.
– As the coronavirus spreads deeper across America, it devastates Latino communities from the mid-Atlantic to the Southwest, infects at alarmingly high rates and increases the inequalities they live with. Latinos are particularly vulnerable to infection because they tend to live in tight spaces with several family members and have jobs that expose them to others.
– The “COVID” is a box that eliminates precious wood, detailed carvings and glass panes in favor of a regular box of cheaper wood that can be quickly produced in large quantities. It is the perfect product for Chile, a country that has become a hotspot for the corona virus despite aggressive government measures to control its spread.
Follow AP pandemic coverage at http://apnews.com/VirusOutbreak and https://apnews.com/UnderstandingtheOutbreak
THERE’S WHAT ELSE HAPPENS:
SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea has reported the largest 24-hour increase in confirmed coronavirus cases in about three weeks amid an upward trend in new infections.
Officials said on Saturday that the 67 additional cases will increase the country’s total to 12,373, with 280 killed.
The 67 cases are the largest daily increase since South Korea reported 79 cases on May 28. According to officials, 31 of the new cases came from outside the country and the remaining 36 were forwarded locally.
South Korea has been trying to absorb a spike in the spread of new viruses since early May when it relaxed social distance rules. Most new cases have been reported in the densely populated metropolitan area of Seoul, where about half of the 51 million people live in the country.
BEIJING – Chinese capital has continued to decline in newly confirmed cases of coronavirus as tightened measures to curb spread are still in place.
Officials reported 22 new cases in Beijing on Saturday, along with five others elsewhere in the country. No new deaths have been reported and 308 people remain in the hospital for treatment of COVID-19.
One of the cases in Beijing is a nurse in a hospital in Changping suburban district. Beijing University International Hospital where she worked is now under more severe restrictions, along with residential communities in the area.
In total, 205 people have been diagnosed with the virus in Beijing since the outbreak started last week, of which at least two were seriously ill and eleven others were seriously ill.
YAKIMA, Wash. – Yakima County has the highest rate of coronavirus infection in Washington State and hospitals are not suitable for sick patients.
The Yakima Health District said on Friday that there was no room for more patients last night at Virginia Mason Memorial Hospital in Yakima, which has more than 200 beds.
The Seattle Times reports that at least 17 patients from Yakima County had already been transferred. That leaves 61 people in Yakima hospital beds with COVID-19 diagnoses, the highest in the province to date.
Yakima County is responsible for 22% of all hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Washington State – 61 out of 242 cases. It has fallen more than King County, home of Seattle, and has nearly 10 times more people than Yakima Count.
SAO PAULO – The Brazilian government says the country has surpassed more than 1 million cases of coronavirus cases. That’s second only to the United States.
The country’s health ministry reported on Friday that the total number of cases had risen to 1,032,913, up more than 50,000 from the previous day. According to the ministry, the sharp increase was due to corrections from previous days.
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro continues to reduce the risks of the virus after nearly 50,000 deaths in three months. He says the impact of social isolation on the Brazilian economy can be more deadly.
Specialists believe that the real number of cases could be up to seven times higher as the corona virus now enters smaller cities inland, where there are also fewer health workers.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed without permission.