The latest: India reports nearly 20,000 new virus cases

The latest: India reports nearly 20,000 new virus cases

NEW DELHI – India reported nearly 20,000 new coronavirus infections on Monday, a new record for the country as several states reset partial or full blocking to stop the spread of the virus.

India has seen a jump of nearly 100,000 cases in the past week, the Ministry of Health said. In total, the country has confirmed 548,318 cases, making it the fourth most affected country in the world after the United States, Brazil and Russia. The death toll in India has reached 16,475.

The capital district of the northeastern state of Assam on the Bangladesh border has been completely shut down again until July 12 after a spike in business. Another border state, West Bengal, has extended the closure to July 31.

In the hardest hit states of India – Maharashtra, which includes the financial capital of India, Mumbai and Delhi, home to the capital, New Delhi – most restriction restrictions have been relaxed: restaurants, shopping centers and parks have reopened and public buses and shared ride services back on the road.

___

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Civil aviation authorities in the United Arab Emirates have suspended all flights to Pakistan due to fears of the spread of the corona virus.

The UAE’s state-run news agency WAM issued a statement late last Sunday from the country’s General Civil Aviation Authority announcing the decision.

Officials said flights would resume after the creation of “a special laboratory” to conduct coronavirus testing for those coming to the Emirates from Pakistan.

The decision comes after the Pakistani media reported last week that 27 passengers from Pakistan arrived in Hong Kong and tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. The passengers had been pulled through the UAE.

Pakistan restarted international travel earlier this month, although critics said airport precautions were limited and ineffective.

___

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine officials say authorities in a central village may face criminal or administrative complaints for allowing street parade and dance amid strict coronavirus closure.

Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella said officials of the village of Basak have been ordered to explain why the religious gathering in honor of Saint John the Baptist was held on Saturday, despite a ban on quarantine from public gatherings. Performers in native clothes and face masks danced during the night procession, which attracted a large crowd.

While the Philippines has eased quarantine restrictions in most regions to breathe new life into the contracting economy, officials again tightened the city of Cebu this month and deploy more police officers to impose restrictions after a spike in infections.

The Philippines remains a Southeast Asian coronavirus hotspot with more than 35,000 confirmed infections, including 1,244 deaths.

___

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea has reported 42 new COVID-19 infections as the infections are steadily increasing in the larger capital area, forcing authorities to consider stricter social restrictions.

Figures announced Monday by the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention brought the national workload to 12,757, including 282 deaths. Twenty-four of the new cases were reported from the capital city of Seoul and the nearby metropolitan areas, which have been at the center of a virus flare-up since late May. At least 12 of the new cases were related to international arrivals, as the virus continues to strengthen its influence in South Asia, the United States and beyond.

South Korea reported hundreds of new cases each day in late February and early March following a major wave around the southeastern city of Daegu, where the majority of infections were linked to a single ecclesiastical congregation of thousands.

But while health authorities have used aggressive testing and contact tracking to stem the outbreak in that region, they have a much harder time following recent broadcasts in the Seoul metropolitan area, where about half of the 51 million people live in the country. As people increasingly venture into the public, new clusters are popping up all over the place, including entertainment venues, churches, restaurants, warehouses, and door-to-door sellers.

Health Minister Park Neung-hoo announced during a briefing on Sunday afternoon that the government is willing to take stronger social distance measures if the epidemic continues to grow.

___

BEIJING – China reported a further decline in new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Monday, with only 12 cases in total, including seven cases of domestic shipment in Beijing, where nearly 8.3 million people have been tested in recent weeks. The number of new cases in the city was half as low as the day before, the National Health Commission reported.

No new deaths were reported on Monday, keeping the total at 4,634 among 83,512 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Currently, 418 patients are in treatment, and a further 112 are being observed because they are suspicious or to test positive without showing symptoms.

Beijing temporarily closed a huge wholesale food market where the virus spread widely earlier this month, re-closed schools and closed a number of neighborhoods. Anyone leaving Beijing must have obtained a negative virus test result within the past seven days.

About 7.69 million results from people tested in Beijing have been returned, city official Zhang Qiang said on Sunday. Beijing has more than 20 million people, but authorities have so far targeted high-risk groups, such as those working in the food and salon industries and those living in areas where cases have been discovered.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed without permission.

.