The Strictly Come Dancing launch show has been postponed to Friday, September 23, following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
Originally scheduled to air on September 17, two days before the monarch’s funeral, bosses have now confirmed that the pre-recorded opener will be released just one day before the first live show on Saturday, September 24.
The UK was placed in a period of mourning on 8 September after Buckingham Palace announced the Queen’s death, with much of the BBC program filled with rolling coverage of events leading up to her funeral on 19 September.
On Hold: Strictly Come Dancing launch show postponed to Friday, September 23, following Queen Elizabeth II’s death
At the strict launch show, which was filmed on September 7, this year’s celebrities will discover their professional partners for the first time.
The couples are training in the scheduled slot on September 24 in the run-up to their debut performance, one day after the launch.
Government guidelines have stated that entertainment events are not required to be canceled or postponed during the mourning period, although this has been strongly suggested as a mark of respect.
On Hold: The launch show was originally scheduled for September 17, two days before the Queen’s funeral, but will now air four days after the historic event
The launch of Strictly was set to air just two days before the Queen’s funeral, on a day when thousands are expected to line up at Westminster Hall to see Her Majesty in state.
It has now been said that the BBC will air the Paddington films in the Queen’s honour, with the first broadcast on BBC One this Saturday.
While Paddington 2 is shown later in the evening on the day of the monarch’s funeral.
The Queen starred alongside the fictional bear in a special skit celebrating her platinum anniversary in June.
This year’s lineup includes host Helen Skelton, 1980s singer Matt Goss, actor Will Mellor, broadcaster Kaye Adams and Paralympics star Ellie Simmonds.
It comes just a week after the first trailer for this year’s Strictly was released, featuring this year’s professional dancers
Tragedy: Much of the BBC program is filled with rolling coverage of events leading up to the Queen’s funeral on September 19 following her death last week (pictured September 6.).
It was previously reported that Prince Charles, 73, and Duchess of Cornwall, 75, [Now King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla] were planning to host a live episode of Strictly at Buckingham Palace after secret talks with BBC executives.
Camilla is said to be a “huge fan” of the show and even “vote” for her favorite dance duo every week.
However, the reported plans will no doubt have been shelved in light of recent events.
Change of plan: Reported plans for Queen Consort Camilla and King Charles III to host a live episode of the show from Buckingham Palace have undoubtedly been shelved in light of events
This series has also seen the introduction of four new professionals, European Cup winner Vito Coppola, Chinese National Champion Carlos Gu, former British Under-21 National Champion, Lauren Oakley and Latin dance champion Michelle Tsiakkas.
This series will air for the first time in three years without Covid measures, which forced bosses to introduce restrictions, including ‘bubbles’ for training and limited viewing figures.
Series 20 also includes the return to the Blackpool Tower ballroom after a two-year hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Coming soon: At the strict launch show, filmed on September 7, this year’s celebrities will discover their professional partners for the first time
In the upcoming series Strictly, the stars celebrate 100 years of the BBC this year with a special themed week.
To mark the centenary, the Strictly couples will either dance ‘to a theme song from an iconic BBC program or pay tribute to one of the BBC’s most beloved services’.
The anniversary show will also feature two special routines by the professionals: one will honor the BBC’s Natural History Programming unit, while the other will see the dancers ‘crash’ a number of flagship shows.
Rylan Clark and Janette Manrara will return to host the Strictly spin-off It Takes Two, which airs weekdays on BBC Two, featuring interviews with the couples and judges, along with behind-the-scenes clips and fun segments.
Meanwhile, Craig Revel Horwood, Shirley Ballas, Motsi Mabuse and Anton Du Beke return to the jury after Bruno Tonioli confirmed in July that he had permanently left the show.
Back: Meanwhile, Craig Revel Horwood, Shirley Ballas, Motsi Mabuse and Anton Du Beke return to the judging panel after Bruno Tonioli confirmed in July that he had permanently left the show
Bruno was unable to appear in the past two series due to his US filming commitments and Covid restrictions, with former professional Anton joining the panel in his place last year.
Bruno told MailOnline that he found juggling the British show and the American variant Dancing With The Stars shows too taxing, saying: ‘Well, I’ll always miss it, it’s my family, but I mean we’ll always be friends. and you never know what’s going to happen.’
Strictly Come Dancing returns on Friday, September 23, followed by the first live show on September 24.
STRICTLY COME DANCE 2022: WHO ARE THE PARTICIPANTS?
Profession: Coronation Street star and presenter
Kym says: ‘I’m so glad they have this year! I’m a huge fan of the show and can’t believe I’m leaving home in my pajamas watching actual dancing in front of the judges in a glittery dress.”
Profession: radio host
Richie says: ‘This is a dream come true! I can’t wait to get into those glitters and sequins and swing across the most famous dance floor in the world!’
Profession: former athlete
Ellie says: “Being asked to be part of the Strictly family is just so exciting and I can’t wait, it’s going to be so much fun.”
Profession: radio dj
Tyler says: “It’s a show that means so much to me and my family and I can’t wait to seriously shake a leg on that shiny dance floor… with a sequin side.”
Ellie says: ‘Well, cover me in fake tan and roll me in sequins! I’m over the moon to be part of Strictly 2022!’
TONY ADAMS MBE
Profession: Retired football player and manager
Tony says: “To say I’m excited is an understatement – the temptation of the sequins and the call of the salsa makes me swap my battered old football boots for a set of Strictly Soft boots.”
Profession: EastEnders actor
James says: “I’m not known for my shimmy or my twinkling toes – in fact my kids regularly laugh at my dad dancing, but it’s an honor to be asked and I’m going to do my best.”
Profession: TV and radio channel
Helen says: ‘I’m really looking forward to throwing myself into a fun adventure. My family and friends have always loved the show and can’t wait for me to get started”
Will says: “I know it will be a huge challenge, but that’s what life is all about. This is also my mom’s favorite show and she’s been through some rough years, so I’m doing this for her too. Bring it on!’
Profession: Television host
Kaye says: “I said I wanted to make the last year of my fifties memorable and I can’t think of a better way to do that than show the world my two left feet. Pray for me!’
Jayde says, “I’ve been a huge fan of the show for years. I feel like I’m looking at myself in a dream and I can’t believe I manifested this.’
Matt says: “I’m retired, I come and work and then go back to America. I thought it’s time for me to come home and get out of my own way’
Mollie says: “I already know it’s going to be an experience of a lifetime and I can’t wait to meet the rest of the Strictly family I’ll be sharing it with.”
fleur says: “I’m just as nervous and excited to be part of this year’s Strictly lineup. I’m excited to learn new skills and want to soak up every moment of this magical experience.”
Professionaln: Wildlife cameraman and presenter
hamza says: “I’m over the moon to participate in Strictly 2022. Never in a million years did I think I’d be on such a cool show.”