Now that Hawkeye has just been announced as the first addition after the launch of Marvel’s Avengers, fans are already imagining who might come next, and Spider-Man is certainly one of the most sought after.
The addition seems to be a given at some point, although a rumor is now suggesting Spider-Man may be exclusive to PlayStation platforms in this game. The source is online retailer Base.com, which had the following statement on the Marvel’s Avengers product page:
Play exclusively as a Spider-man on PS4
The statement has now been removed, but the Wayback Machine provides tangible evidence that it was there until recently.
Having Spider-Man as an exclusive PlayStation would make sense given Sony’s control over video game and movie rights to the popular web sling, but it would certainly sting for Xbox, PC or even Stadia gamers who are one of the most famous Avengers in their roster .
Marvel’s Avengers is out on September 4, although there will be a beta program on August 7-9 for pre-order customers of PlayStation 4, while the following weekend the beta will open on PS4 and be reserved for pre-order customers on PC and Xbox A. Finally, there will be a final open beta for the weekend on all platforms between August 21 and 23.
- Advance through the single player campaign to rebuild your Hero roster and restore their powers; compete with AIM alone or online with friends.
- Unlock powerful abilities and new equipment for each of Earth’s most powerful heroes to suit your play style.
- Customize these iconic heroes with classic fan favorites and all-new original outfits inspired by over 80 years of Marvel history.
- Flexible combat system, dynamically scalable difficulty, plus customizable gear and skills to support unique play styles for each hero.
- Using a reclaimed helicopter as a base of operations, players launch Hero Missions (single-player) and Warzone Missions (single-player or co-op) in hotspots around the world.
- Up to four players gather online to protect Earth from escalating threats that only the Avengers can overcome.
- The story will unfold over several years, with each new Super Hero and region delivered at no additional cost.