Soccer bosses will NOT introduce temporary concussion suspensions despite overwhelming evidence of dementia links … with controversial extra-permanent suspension judgment to be extended
- Sportsmail has spent the last year campaigning for football to tackle dementia
- But the game’s rule makers are not yet considering temporary concussion subscriptions.
- IFAB will discuss the extension of its additional permanent subscriber test, it may be revealed
- IFAB believes that permanent additional subs can be replicated at all levels of the game.
The Board of the International Football Association is not considering introducing temporary concussion substitutions, but the game’s legislators are willing to extend their test of extra permanent substitutions.
Activists, including Sportsmail Columnist Chris Sutton has long argued that the option of temporarily replacing a potentially shocked player is better than current protocols.
More than 100 competitions are participating in the experiment, including the Premier League, and the trial period will end in August 2022.
Soccer is being made to wait even longer for temporary concussion substitutions, and lawmakers, instead, are keen to extend their test of additional permanent substitutions.
Sportsmail It has been said that the issue of temporary substitutions will not be discussed at the next meeting of decision-makers, on November 25. However, the IFAB will discuss the possibility of expanding the trial of extra permanent substitutions.
It is understood that lawmakers feel that there have not been enough concussion incidents to study, and therefore, with the desire for more data, it is likely to be dragged on to include the 2022-23 season.
The test began in the Premier League, FA Cup, Women’s Super League and Women’s Championship in February 2021.
Three days after his start, West Ham’s Issa Diop became the first concussion substitute in English football.
West Ham’s Issa Diop (right) became the first concussion substitute in English football this year
He had injured his head in the 37th minute against Manchester United, but was not substituted until half-time. Therefore, the trial was criticized for failing its first test.
The IFAB opposes temporary subscriptions because “a player could come back with late symptoms.”
The counterargument is that players keep playing with potential head injuries rather than being replaced.
The IFAB also says that ‘head injury assessments are complex’ and would take more than 10 minutes. The refutation of that is the current protocols that force doctors to make decisions in less time, on the field, in front of the fans.
IFAB also believes that additional permanent subs can be replicated at all levels of the game.