Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Public EV charges for social housing to be trialed in London borough

The London Borough of Lambeth is piloting a new program to deploy public electric vehicle (EV) charging in underserved areas.

While electric car ownership in the UK is skyrocketing – with new registrations up 117 percent this year compared to 2020 – people living in urban centers, high-rise flats, and town halls are significantly less likely to have access to their own driveway, making it difficult to install home charging solutions.

Lambeth has partnered with charging company Connected Curb to build 22 on-street EV chargers in 11 town halls in the borough to provide easy access to public charging stations, even for those without on-street parking.

It is part of the municipality’s broader strategy to install more than 200 charging points by 2022, with the aim of ensuring that every household without access to on-street parking is within a five-minute walk of the nearest charging point.

Households with driveway access currently make up 80 percent of EV owners, while the remaining 20 percent are owned by people in homes or condominiums with no access to off-street parking.

These communities often have the most to gain from EVs because they are disproportionately exposed to the highest levels of toxic exhaust fumes and have significantly worse air quality.

Current figures suggest there are around 34 EVs on UK roads for every public EV charger on the street, making it difficult for drivers without on-street parking to charge at home.

Chris Pateman-Jones, CEO of Connected Kerb, said: “People often think that electric vehicles are the preserve of the few with detached houses and driveways, but this couldn’t be further from the truth.

“With operating costs much lower than petrol and diesel cars, all communities, regardless of where they live, their social background, whether they have a driveway or not, have a lot to gain.

“Unfortunately, some communities are being let down by a classic chicken-and-egg scenario. Without the high adoption of EV, charging point operators will not build public charging stations, and why would anyone go electric without reliable charging?

“We have designed our business model to overcome this and with Lambeth Council, we are ensuring a fairer and equitable future for clean transport – here and across the UK.”

About a third of Lambeth’s residents live on estates managed by the council and most homes in the borough do not have off-street parking.

This means that a large proportion of EV drivers will be dependent on public charging infrastructure. Connected Curb said it hopes the project will act as a blueprint that can be widely adopted by other boroughs, councils, and towns across Britain.

Councilor Danny Adilypour, Cabinet Member for Sustainable Transport at Lambeth Council, said: “As the first London City Council to declare a climate emergency, we are committed to accelerating the transition to cleaner transport in our borough – notably through active travel and public transport. to encourage.

“For residents who need to use private vehicles, we recognize how important access to EV charging is to give the confidence to switch to zero tailpipe emissions cars. Projects like this help us do just that, while also helping us reach our net-zero targets and improve the air quality on our streets, protecting the health of our communities.”