Melissa Gilbert is a practical lady! The actress, 56, who is best remembered as Laura Ingalls Wilder in the beloved Small house on the Prairie series, exclusively opened to Us weekly with 25 things you may not know about her – including her latest DIY projects, a long-lost half-sister she’s looking forward to and her secret talents. Read on for more facts about the Guest artist producer.
1. During the pandemic, my husband[[[[Timothy Busfield]and I made our raised planters, garden fence, chicken coop and electric fence.
2. I assembled everything myself, from toys to tricycles, stereo systems to Ikea cabinets – even table saws!
3. I am terribly allergic to bees, even though my name means honey bee in Greek. [But] I love everything with honey or fragrance.
4. I start each morning with a bowl of PG Tips tea with honey and a half and a half, which my dear husband makes for me. Then I read the news while listening to soundtracks.
5. I once drove to a nature center with a chipmunk that I had rescued and bit my index finger.
6. I am a trained volunteer for 11-hour children’s hospitals.
7. My all-time favorite animals are otters. I cry when I see them.
8. I have broken several bones, including [in] my back and have had 12 non-cosmetic surgeries.
9. I can only sleep well in a very cold room.
10. I didn’t only produce Guest artist with my husband and Jeff Danielsbut I secured our sites, oversaw production design and raised the money to cover our budget.
11. My first crush was Adam West’s Batman.
12. I did my first musical[[[[Little House on the Prairie, the Musical]at the age of 45.
13. My grandfather, Harry Crane, made it The newlyweds. Whenever I look at it, I absolutely hear him and my grandmother, Julia, in Ralph and Alice Kramden.
14. All surnames of my husbands start with “B”[Busfieldenexen[Busfieldandexes[Busfieldenexen[BusfieldandexesBo Brinkman and Bruce Boxleitner]so I never had to buy new monogrammed towels.
15. I went to Buckley School with Laura Dern and Nicollette Sheridan.
16. I can hit left or right handed.
17. I absolutely cannot stand the taste of saffron.
18. I can play AC / DC’s “Back in Black” and The Beatles “” Golden Slumbers “on the drums.
19. I gave myself surf lessons on my 40th birthday.
20. My first car was a beige Chrysler LeBaron station wagon from 1980.
21. My star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is not far from that of my father, Paul Gilbert. That makes mine so much sweeter.
22. I started studying ballet when I was 2 years old. I’m taking classes today.
23. I can drive everything from a six-fold stagecoach to an 18-wheeler.
24. I can juggle.
25. I have two older half-sisters. I reconnected to one, Susan Gilbert-Randal. I have never met and would like to find my other one, Gigi Gilbert. Gigi, if you’re reading this, I’m looking for you!
Guest artist is available for viewing on digital platforms and in select theaters.
Listen to Watch With Us to hear more about your favorite shows and the latest TV news!