We bring you our list with all the news of iOS 15, the next version of Apple’s mobile operating system. It is a version that pays a lot of attention to small details, such as the applications pre-installed by Apple itself. Among its novelties, there is also a lot of prominence from FaceTime and other apps.
We are going to offer you this list so that you can see at a glance the main functions at a glance. In addition, we will also add the list of iPhone models that will be compatible with this new version of the operating system, as well as the instructions to receive the update.
iOS 15 in video
Main novelties of iOS 15
We are now going to tell you what are the main novelties of iOS 15, the new version of Apple’s mobile operating system.
- Notifications redesign: One of the first changes you will notice in iOS 15 is in the notifications, which change their grouping and design. They will be sorted by priority so that the less urgent ones are not distracting, and will incorporate photos of the contacts and larger icons.
- Concentration mode: A new function with which you can choose a profile of use, personal or work for example. In each one, you will be able to design a home screen by choosing specific apps and widgets, or the notifications you want to reach you. Thus, the same phone can be prepared for different usage scenarios, and thus adapt to your different routines. This mode can be shared between devices, so that once the profiles have been configured, you can send them to your tablet or other mobile that you have.
- Searching for photos from Spotlight: Apple improves the native iOS search engine, and now you can use it to find photos you have on your mobile. The system will recognize places, people and even handwritten notes, and will be able to associate content with a contact.
- FaceTime compatible with Windows and Android: Apple’s video calling application is one of the great protagonists of iOS 15, and many new features revolve around it. For example, you can generate links to enter calls from a browser, which opens the door to being able to use it from Windows or Android. It will require support for H.264 encoding.
- FaceTime improves your sound: The spatial audio to emulate live conversations, where the interlocutors are heard at different points, as if they were scattered around the room. In addition, there will be a refined sound so that the voice is heard better and noises can be isolated.
- Video Grid and Blurred Background in Facetime: FaceTime also incorporates the new Grid Video view for group calls, where it better highlights who is speaking at all times. In addition, there is a portrait mode to blur what’s behind you while you are in the video conference.
- SharePlay to share on calls: Another great feature coming to FaceTime is the SharePlay feature, which you can use to share music, video, and other items during calls. It is compatible with Apple TV, so you can also watch movies with others on the big screen while connected to a call. Supports screen-to-screen PiP mode, so if you minimize FaceTime or are watching some content, you will still see a frame with the call superimposed.
- More customizable memojis: Options are added, with more than 40 new clothes, more accessibility devices and colors or designs.
- Apple TV virtual remote redesign: It is more like physical command.
- Find Deleted iPhones: The option of Look for It will allow you to find iPhones even if they are turned off, and if they are still paired with the Activation Lock, even after being restored.
- Messages improves content sharing: The function is added Shared for you, which allows that when we share a link we can interact directly with who has sent it. It also makes it easy to share Apple Music playlists, or have a specific collection in Photos for each contact or group.
- Live Text for photo recognition: It is a kind of Google Lens, but integrated directly into the camera application, in the photo gallery when viewing them, or when opening screenshots. What it does is recognize texts and transcribe them, as well as objects, scenes, books, pets and other elements.
- Add music to your moments: With function Memories, you can add music from Apple Music to the videos that are generated with the photos you have as a souvenir. This function of Moments it has always had its own music, and now you can add your songs from the Apple service.
- EXIF Information in Photos: The Photos application will now allow you to see the EXIF data of the images and videos that you have saved.
- Edit location, date and time in Photos: No more having to buy a third-party app to be able to edit some metadata of your photos, such as location, date or time. Now you can also put order in the old photos taken with old cameras without GPS data or with incorrect date and time.
- Wallet now supports keys: Apple’s boarding and credit card storage app now also adds support for digital keys. You can add anything from car keys to theme park ticket systems or hotel cards. These will be shared with the Apple Watch to be able to use them from there.
- Removal of old passes in Wallet: The app will automatically hide the oldest passes from the Wallet once used.
- Siri Offline: Siri’s speech recognition engine now runs within your device, so you can interact with Siri faster, and do more offline.
- Redesign of the Weather app: The information will be displayed in a more compact and detailed way. First you will see the main notices, and then the possibility of expanding the information about them. There are things that do not change, such as the weekly forecast and the widgets of the sections, but everything is more organized and with more information.
- Maps receives new maps: The Maps of Spain application will receive an update with the country.
- Forecasts in Map locations: When you are consulting a location in the Maps app, information such as temperature, rainfall, and other data such as elevation or monuments and details in the area will now be displayed in real time.
- Map navigation improvements: When you enter the Maps navigation mode, where the lane directions and the most complex intersections will be displayed in three dimensions.
- Privacy report of your apps: Apple is going to implement a App Privacy report, which will allow you to know how each app treats your personal information. You will be able to know, for example, with whom your data has been shared in recent days, and in Safari you will see attempts to access your information by third-party apps.
- More information in the Health app: Details such as the cadence of your steps, speed, tread and other data related to your walking are added.
- Share your health data: The Health app now adds a tab in which to share your data with family members, doctors or caregivers.
- Double factor codes are generated: ICloud Password Keychain can generate two-factor codes, so you don’t have to resort to third-party apps like Microsoft Authenticator.
- Extra space in iCloud to configure new devices: iCloud will provide you with all the space you need for free for three weeks to make a backup of your entire old device and be able to dump it on a new one.
- New Widgets: New official widgets arrive from Look for, Contacts:, Game Center, To sleep, Mail O App Store.
- And if you don’t want to update to iOS 15 …: From now on, on iOS you will be allowed to stay on the previous version, iOS 14 in this case, and receive only security updates.
Now, we will tell you the list of devices compatible with iOS 15. There is good news, and it is that a large number of generations of iPhone will receive the update, from 6s onwards.
How to install iOS 15
To install this new version of iOS, as always, you have to enter the settings of your phone, and click on the section General. There, click on the option Software update, and your device will start looking for new versions of iOS.
But you don’t have to worry too much either, because updates will also be notified to you automatically, as iOS checks for new versions every day. Looking for them is only for when you can’t wait any longer and want to keep looking.