!-- 634c7aa55dca3b282b7c80846a1dd8060284ae7f -->

Holidaymakers are shocked and confused about Spain’s removal from the list of safe countries

Vacationers have been left “shocked and confused” after ministers removed Spain from the government’s travel corridor exemptions list due to an increase in Covid-19 cases in the country.

The move means that all travelers returning from the country, including the Spanish islands, will need to isolate themselves for two weeks, the Ministry of Transport confirmed.

23-year-old Chloe Harris from Kent booked a last-minute trip to Lanzarote and arrived on the Spanish island this morning and said she was “gutted” to hear the news.

She told the PA news agency: “When I heard the news, I was quite shocked thinking they would have given us a warning. Even a warning that they would consider this. ‘

Close to

Spanish holidaymakers will now have to isolate themselves for 14 days upon returning to the UK. (FATHER)

The four-night trip was booked last minute Wednesday and Ms. Harris, who is traveling with a friend, said they had researched the destination beforehand.

Before the official announcement, she said, “We had done our research and we knew that the island has only a small number of cases of Covid.

“I think a lot of people are going to run to the airport, but since we’re only here four days and we didn’t arrive until this morning, it doesn’t seem worth it to me. We’re just going to wait and see if the island has been quarantined.

“It would probably be fine to continue working from home and quarantining from home, although I shouldn’t have to go to the office anymore.

Close to

Spain has reported more than 900 new daily infections in the past two days. (FATHER)

“But my girlfriend with whom I traveled will start a new job on August 3, so it will be difficult to explain to her employer.”

45-year-old Neil Hunter from Sittingbourne, Kent, had booked a 10-day break to Lanzarote and left on Tuesday. The trip had been booked since December last year, but has now been questioned.

He told PA: “We went as a family, my wife Amanda and teenage daughter Bethany, but to be honest, since this announcement I am not sure what will happen if I work as a driver, and I don’t think my employer will accept that I have to isolate because I am going on vacation.

“I’m insured, but I’m not sure they would accept that as a reason not to go, especially if Hays Travel doesn’t cancel for me. I can’t afford to give myself up. ‘

He said he understood why the decision was made, but it is “a lot of money and yet disappointing”.

FATHER