George Kambosos Jr admits his boxing career could be DEAD if he loses the rematch with Devin Haney – and tries the American’s tactics in their first fight
- Kambosos Jr says his rematch against Haney will be ‘do or die’ for his career
- Former Aussie champion wants more action and less ‘hold on’ in next fight
- The Championship rematch will be held on October 16 at the Rod Laver Arena
George Kambosos Jr says it’s ‘do or die’ for his boxing career as he tries to reclaim his world title on October 16 in a rematch with American Devin Haney.
Kambosos gave up his belt in early June in their unification fight in front of more than 40,000 spectators at Marvel Stadium, with a dominant Haney being declared undisputed world lightweight champion by unanimous decision.
The Sydneysider has enforced a rematch clause, with Haney again traveling to Melbourne for the fight at the Rod Laver Arena, which has a smaller capacity of around 15,000.
George Kambosos Jr will ‘bring a lot more fire’ to the Haney rematch, according to his US promoter Lou DiBella
Kambosos Jr will be an underdog at bookmakers when he tries to knock the ledger with the slick American
To add an extra layer to the duel, the victor is tipped to face Vasiliy Lomachenko, who moved to the US after defending Ukraine against Russia, or former champion Jamaine Ortiz, with their fight later. in October.
With talent at every turn in the 135lb division, Kambosos admitted the fight could be his last if it ended in defeat.
“It’s a great division, but for me I’m 29, so for me it’s do or die,” Kambosos told reporters on Tuesday.
“If I don’t win this battle you won’t see me back in Australia fighting domestic guys; I’m not that.
Kambosos Jr says he wants more action in his upcoming fight with less ‘holding’
“All I’ve got I’ll put in that ring and train, and God willing, I’ll be victorious.”
Kambosos was kept at bay by Haney’s jab during their first encounter, with the 23-year-old controlling the fight from the outside.
Australian promoter Lou DiBella predicted he would bring “a lot more fire.”
Kambosos wouldn’t reveal what changes he would make, but hoped there would be less retention.
“The changes will be made and I’m sure Haney will make more changes and I’m looking forward to talking in the ring,” Kambosos said.
American Devin Haney hits Kambosos with a right hand in his win earlier this year – but his lightning strike was the biggest problem for the Aussie
“I just hope for the fans and for the love of the sport that we put up a good fight.
“We’re doing an action fight, not a high-holding fight.
“I’m not going to take it from Devin, a fantastic win, but I hope the referee does justice to the fight this time.”