Yesterday the Epic Games Store finally got an “early” version of achievements, which took a long time. A quick look at the Trello roadmap for the Epic Games Store shows that achievements are listed among other important features under the “Next” dropdown, so many began to wonder if more store / launcher updates were on the way. Well, it turns out people were right to speculate, as official mod support has also been added to the Epic Game Store!
This was not confirmed by Epic, however by the creators of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, which is the first game to support mods through the Epic Games Store. Mods are still in beta, but players can already filter mods by tags and give them likes. Expect more games to join the mod beta in time. Meanwhile, here’s a little more detail about the mods coming to MechWarrior 5 …
We’re thrilled to announce that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is the first game to enter the beta launch of Epic Games Store Mods! With this release, discovering and installing MW5 Mods is made easier than ever by the amazing modding community, directly integrated into the existing Epic Games Launcher.
- MechCommander Mercenaries by the MCM Team is a recently announced and highly ambitious MW5 real-time strategy conversion. A complete genre change like this really speaks to the possibilities and flexibility of creating mods for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in the Unreal Engine!
- Reload MW5 Mercs by NavidA1, the most prolific creator in the MW5 Modding community, is not only an almost thorough expansion of ‘Mechs and the MechLab, but a continuous revision of many core systems and a collection of great quality of life improvements.
- MercTech by MagnumForceGB is a comprehensive review of many core mechanics related to ‘Mechs and the MechLab, introducing a range of new weapons, equipment and features inspired by traditional BattleTech systems and rules.
- The TableTopRulez Lancemate and Oraeon1224’s Enemy AI Mods are two major enhancements to the AI systems in MW5, providing greater mission complexity and visible intelligence to the AI in the mission.
- The MW5 Mod Compatibility Pack by Sketch is a great attempt to increase compatibility between different mods, allowing creators to focus their work and coordinate with other creators to unlock even greater potential in their mods.
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is currently only available on PC through the Epic Games Store.