Does the DualShock 4 work with the PlayStation 5? What you need to know about controller compatibility
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
With Sony – and gaming in general – there always seems to be a caveat, right? The PS5 is said to be fully backwards compatible, until that was not the case. There would only be one model at launch until there was none. And you could use it all your PS4 accessories – until you weren’t.
MORE: What You Need to Know About the DualSense Controller
On August 3, Sony offered some clarification for the future of the DualShock 4 on the upcoming PS5.
Does the DualShock 4 work with the PS5?
The answer is – more or less.
Sony has announced that the PS4 first controller will work with the PS5, but not for upcoming PS5 games. This makes sense, as the all-new DualSense controller is going to add capabilities that are currently not possible with the DualShock line of controllers.
“We believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we bring to the platform, including the features of the DualSense wireless controller.”
This means that you can still play PS4 games with the PS4 controller, but you cannot play PS5 games on it. Simple enough.
Which PS4 accessories work with PS5?
According to Sony, this works as follows with the PS5:
- Special peripherals: fighting sticks, steering wheels and things like that work with PS5 games.
- Sony’s platinum and gold wireless headsets, along with third-party headsets that plug into the USB port.
- The DualShock 4 and officially licensed third-party controllers work with PS4 games, but not PS5.
- The VR controllers all work with PS5.
- The PlayStation camera also works with the next-gen console.