Crystal Palace is likely to AVOID FA sanctions for controversial fan banner criticizing Saudi Arabia’s new owners of Newcastle after Metropolitan Police dropped investigation following complaint
- Crystal Palace fans raised a banner criticizing Newcastle’s new Saudi owners
- The Magpies, now owned by a Saudi-led consortium, played at Palace last week.
- The banner criticized the Premier League’s decision to allow the £ 305 million takeover.
- Saudi Arabia has a poor record on human rights, including LGBTQ + rules
- Palace is unlikely to now face sanctions from the Metropolitan Police or the FA.
- The Holmesdale Fanatics fan group has taken responsibility for the big banner.
Crystal Palace is likely to escape FA sanctions over the controversial banner unfurled by supporters condemning the new Saudi owners of Newcastle on Saturday.
On Monday, the Metropolitan Police abandoned their initial investigation into the huge flag that was unveiled in Selhurst Park prior to the 1-1 draw between the two teams that had originally initiated the investigation after receiving a complaint.
In a statement, the Croydon Metropolitan Police confirmed: ‘On Saturday, a member of the public contacted us to express concern about a banner that was displayed at the Crystal Palace vs Newcastle game in Selhurst Park.
After an evaluation, the officers have concluded that no crimes have been committed. No further action will be taken. ”
Sportsmail also understands that Palace is unlikely to face punishment in relation to failing to monitor his supporters over the graphic banner, although any decision not to sanction the south London club will not be linked to the previous police investigation.
Crystal Palace likely to avoid FA sanctions after controversial Newcastle banner from their fans
The banner criticized the Premier League for allowing the new Saudi-led owners
The FA’s disciplinary chiefs have considered whether the banner constitutes an offense under their regulations, but Palace is unlikely to face further action.
The banner featured drawings of a man dressed in traditional Arab garb alongside a man who appeared to be Premier League CEO Richard Masters.
The flag also included a checklist of alleged crimes committed by the Saudi regime.
A clipboard illustration titled “Premier League Proof of Ownership” read “Terrorism, Beheading, Civil Rights Abuses, Murder, Censorship and Persecution.”
Newcastle owners Amanda Staveley (right) and Mehrdad Ghodoussi (left) were at the match.
The man in Arab-style clothing was also holding a bloody sword. Since then, the Holmesdale Fanatics group of supporters have taken responsibility for the banner.
“ The Saudi-led takeover of Newcastle has rightly received widespread condemnation and anger, ” a statement read.
“Giving the go-ahead to this deal at a time when the Premier League is promoting the women’s game and inclusive initiatives like rainbow bracelets shows the utter hypocrisy at stake and demonstrates the league’s heartless agenda where profits trump everything”.
Since then, Palace’s fan group, Holmesdale Fanatics, has taken responsibility for the banner.
The Magpies acquisition was 80 percent financed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), whose chairman is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
The Arab man on the banner had the word ‘PIF’ stamped across the front of his dress.
In sealing the takeover, the Premier League said it had received legal assurances from the new owners that the Saudi state would not control Newcastle and that the club would face sanctions if proven otherwise.
The Palace fan group statement said this decision ‘mocked’ the Premier League ‘Owners and Directors’ test.