Aldi has been crowned the cheapest supermarket in Australia for a basket of 29 essential groceries costing just $80.75.
The last CHOISE A supermarket pricing survey found that shoppers can save up to $64.48 by switching from major brands to a basket of budget purchases owned by Aldi.
The shopping list includes bread, milk, eggs, olive oil, tomato sauce, butter, ground beef, fresh apples, bananas, broccoli, frozen peas, coffee, orange juice, cereal, dried penne, flour, sugar, tissues, laundry detergent, dish soap and more.
According to the 2021 results, Coles was the most expensive leading brand supermarket ($145.23) ahead of IGA ($142.79) and Woolworths ($141.83).
The list includes branded items such as Wonder White bread, Dairy Farmers milk, Western Star butter, Birds Eye peas, Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain, Moccona coffee, San Remo penne, Kleenex tissues, Morning Fresh dish soap and more.
Aldi has been crowned the cheapest supermarket in Australia for a basket of 29 essential groceries costing just $80.75 (stock image)
What’s in the Aldi basket?
1. Bread, white, sandwich sliced – Baker’s Life Viva Plus White High Fiber 700g
2. Chocolate, dark, block (do not boil) – Moser Roth Finest Dark 85% Cocoa 125g
3. Milk, full cream, fresh – Farmdale Milk Full Cream 2L
4. Butter, Salted – Beautiful Buttery Butter Salted 250g
5. Ice cream, vanilla – Monarc Indulge Vanilla Opulence 1L
6. Peas, frozen – Market Fare Garden Peas 1kg
7. Crackers – Damora Eton Original Cracker Biscuits 250g
8. Chips, crinkled – Sprinters Original Crinkle Cut Potato Chips 230g
9. Jam, strawberry – Grandessa Signature Strawberry Premium Jam 370g
10. Breakfast Cereal – GoldenVale Power Grain 560g
11. Coffee, instant – Alcafe Classic Gold 100g
12. Juice, orange – Westcliff Orange juice 2L
13. Cling film – Goliath Cling film 60m
14. Tuna (skipjack), canned – Portview Tuna Chunks in Springwater 95g
15. Oil, olive – Casa Barelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil 750mL
16. Sauce, tomato – Colway Tomato Sauce 500mL
17. Tomatoes, canned – Remano Australian diced tomatoes 400g
18. Pasta (penne), dried – Remano Penne 500g
19. Flour, white – White Mill plain flour 1kg
20. Sugar – Merryfield White Sugar 2kg
21. Tissues – Confidence Aloe Vera & Vitamin E 120hp
22. Hand Wash – Tricare Antibacterial Liquid Hand Wash 250mL
23. Liquid Detergent – Trimat Advanced Concentrated Detergent 2L
24. Dishwashing Liquid – Tandil Ultra Lemon Fragrance Concentrate Dishwashing Liquid 1L
25. Eggs, Free Range, 12 Eggs – Lodge Farms Free Range 12 Eggs Extra Large 700g
26. Minced meat, beef, 500g – Jindurra Station 3 Star Beef Mince
27. Apples, Granny Smith, 1kg pack – Fruitylicious Granny Smith apples
28. Bananas, Cavendish, loose, 1kg
29. Broccoli, loose, 1kg
Total: $80.75 (including specials)
In the budget brands category, the experts found even more savings after switching to budget-tier supermarket brand items.
“Keep in mind that the quality and look and feel of the items may not be directly comparable to national brands, but if you’re looking for savings this is a great place to start,” said content producer Rebecca Ciaramidaro by Choice.
The experts substituted items for budget versions where they were available.
Coles has since renamed its budget brand ‘Coles’, while Woolworths has rebranded its budget tier from ‘Homebrand’ to ‘Essentials’.
Aldi still took the lead with the cheapest basket costing just $67.18 for 29 items, $5 to $6 cheaper than Coles ($72.93) and Woolworths ($72.89) baskets.
“While these prices include specials, you wouldn’t expect the price to change too much since specials are rarely offered on cheap groceries,” Rebecca said.
“Keep in mind that you can save up to $14.63 within the same supermarket by buying the cheapest branded equivalent of the supermarket-brand item, a 17 percent cost reduction.”
Choice looked at three different categories, with Aldi named the cheapest supermarket for a basket of 29 essentials, while Coles was found to be the most expensive supermarket chain.
The survey found that Coles is the most expensive supermarket among leading brands ($145.23)
The big branded items at Woolworths average $141.83 (including specials)
The experts also compared each state’s supermarket prices, with Queensland ($140.67) and Western Australia ($140.25) offering the cheapest average cost for a basket of major branded items.
South Australia, Tasmania and Northern Territory offered the most expensive baskets at $147.20.
Surprisingly, Queensland and Western Australia were the most expensive when the experts compared supermarket brands or cheap baskets.
The results were collected after Choice sent undercover shoppers to 120 supermarkets – 35 Woolworths, 34 Coles, 29 Aldi and 22 IGA stores – in 35 locations across Australia in April 2021.
Supermarket locations were chosen to provide good coverage of socio-economic status and geographic distribution across the country.
In the 2021 study, all prices were “with special” (or as they were on the day of the shadow store) across all supermarkets. Therefore, there is no price comparison excluding the special price, where it was available.
The basket with big branded items
1. Bread, white, sandwich sliced – Wonder White High Fiber Vitamins & Minerals Sandwich 700g
2. Chocolate, dark, block (not boiling) – Lindt 85% Cocoa Extra Dark 100g
3. Milk, full cream, fresh – Dairy Farmers Full Cream 2L
4. Butter, salted – Western Star Original Salted Butter 250g
5. Ice cream, vanilla – Connoisseur Classic Vanilla 1L
6. Peas, frozen – Birds Eye Australian Field Fresh Garden Peas 1kg
7. Crackers – Arnott’s Jatz Original 225g
8. Crisps, crumpled – Smith’s Original 170g
9. Jam, strawberry – Cottee’s Strawberry Jam 500g
10. Breakfast Cereal – Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain 500g
11. Coffee, instant – Moccona Classic 5 Medium Roast 100g
12. Juice, Orange – Golden Circle Orange Juice 2L
13. Cling wrap – Smooth Wrap 60m
14. Tuna (skipjack), canned – John West Chunk Style Tuna in Springwater 95g
15. Oil, olive – Moro Primero Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1L
16. Sauce, tomato – Masterfoods Tomato Sauce 500mL
17. Tomatoes, canned – Ardmona diced tomatoes Aged 400g
18. Pasta (penne), dried – San Remo Penne 500g
19. Flour, white – White Wings Premium all purpose flour, natural 1kg
20. Sugar – CSR White Sugar 2kg
21. Tissues – Kleenex Aloe Vera & Vitamin E 95pk
22. Hand Wash – Pamolive Antibacterial Liquid Hand Wash Lime 250mL
23. Liquid Detergent – Omo Front & Top Loader 2L
24. Dishwashing Liquid – Morning Fresh Ultra Concentrate Lemon Dishwashing Liquid 900mL
25. Eggs, Free Range, 12 Eggs – Pace Farm Free Range X Large 700g
26. Minced meat, beef, 500g
27. Apples, Granny Smith, 1 kg pack
28. Bananas, Cavendish, loose, 1kg
29. Broccoli, loose, 1kg
The total costs include specials:
Coles ($145.23), IGA ($142.79) and Woolworths ($141.83)