Adult movie star Ron Jeremy has been charged with rape, sexual assault

Adult movie star Ron Jeremy has been charged with rape, sexual assault

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Adult movie star Ron Jeremy has been charged with raping three women and sexually assaulting a fourth, Los Angeles County prosecutors said Tuesday.

The counts make 67-year-old Jeremy the third man to be charged with Harvey Weinstein and producer David Guillod by a task force assembled by prosecutor Jackie Lacey in 2017 to investigate sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry.

Nicknamed “The Hedgehog”, Jeremy is one of the best known and most prolific actors in the history of the adult film industry, with thousands of credits to his name.

Jeremy, whose real name is Ronald Jeremy Hyatt, appeared in court Tuesday, wearing handcuffs and a face mask, but made no plea. A judge postponed his charges until Friday and set his bail at $ 6.6 million.

Jeremy’s lawyer Stuart Goldfarb said that he is ÔÇťabsolutely innocent of the charges. It is not close by. ‘

Jeremy was charged with three counts, each for violent rape and forced penetration through a foreign object, and one count for violent oral copulation and sexual battery. If convicted of all counts, he could face 90 years in prison.

Prosecutors allege that in May 2014, Jeremy raped a 25-year-old woman in a West Hollywood house, sexually assaulted a 33-year-old woman and a 46-year-old woman in separate incidents at a West Hollywood bar in 2017, and raped a 30-year-old woman in the same bar in July last year.

Goldfarb said witnesses speaking to both detectives and his own investigator questioned the allegations. The lawyer said that Jeremy often gropes women with their permission during public performances, suggesting that his long life as an adult artist makes him less likely to have committed sexual crimes.

“There is absolutely no reason for him to ever be aggressive with women,” Goldfarb said. “He’s had more women than you can count.”

He added that the amount of the bail was “terribly high.”

Jeremy was investigated by the Hollywood Task Force after it was formed during a wave of sexual misconduct allegations that began media reports of Weinstein launching the # MeToo era in late 2017.

The task force has investigated more than 20 men, but Jeremy is only the third to be charged.

Prosecutors have begun attempting to bring Weinstein to California to be charged with rape and sexual assault. He is being held in a New York prison after being convicted of similar charges earlier this year. He has denied being involved in sex without mutual consent.

On Monday, Guillod, a producer of the 2017 movie “Atomic Blonde” and the Netflix movie “Extraction”, was arrested in Santa Barbara County and charged with 11 crimes, most of which were rape counts, which were investigated by Lacey’s task force.

Guillod’s attorney, Philip K. Cohen, said in a statement that “Mr Guillod has denied these allegations for the past eight years” and that “overwhelming evidence has been gathered in the course of this investigation challenging these allegations”.

Prosecutors in Los Angeles accused Danny Masterson of “That ’70s Show” actor last week with the rapes of three women, although that investigation preceded the formation of the Hollywood task force. Masterson denied the charges and his lawyer said he would be justified.

Another 2016 allegation against Jeremy was dismissed by the task force for insufficient evidence.

In recent years, Jeremy has appeared in more mainstream entertainment, including music videos and reality TV shows such as “The Surreal Life”.

___

Follow AP Entertainment Writer Andrew Dalton on Twitter: https://twitter.com/andyjamesdalton.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed without permission.

.